The fact that fuel prices are constantly rising is no secret. Just take a look at the prices of petrol and diesel in 2017 compared to 2016 and you will see that this issue is more relevant than ever. Often, drivers ignore the fuel economy of their vehicles in the belief that filling up for months at a time will save them money in the long run. It may surprise some that the main reasons for high fuel consumption are very pleasant to discuss (even if you know them, it does not mean you can ignore them). So, are you interested in learning the main causes of high fuel consumption? Let’s see!
Refuel photo created by senivpetro – www.freepik.com
Control your fuel budget
One of the most important reasons to improve fuel efficiency is direct savings. Reducing your annual mileage can save you thousands of dollars per year, which you can use to fund other aspects of your business. There are two ways to reduce your mileage:
- Reduce the distance you drive by choosing more efficient routes and driving fewer unnecessary miles.
- Reduce the number of trips you make by consolidating your deliveries and driving more efficiently.
- In addition to direct savings, reducing your fuel consumption also improves your company’s environmental footprint.
A fuel management system can reduce your expenses
Fuel cards have been shown to reduce overall expenses by 6 to 10 percent by giving drivers control over where they fill up and how they use their vehicles. This benefits both the company and its employees, as the company saves money and employees gain access to a convenient service that can make their jobs easier.
In recent years, the number of fuel card providers has increased, which means more choices for companies looking for the best card for their needs. However, this has also led to higher prices and more cards on the market with hidden fees and confusing terms and conditions. To find the right card, you need to know what you want from a provider before you start looking.
You can get a better understanding of how your fleet is performing
If you don’t measure, you can’t improve. You need to assess how well (or poorly) each vehicle in your fleet is performing in order to make changes and improve performance. A GPS tracking solution can help you monitor daily driver behavior, track mileage, and identify opportunities for improvement.
With a GPS tracking system, you can see where each vehicle is at all times, create time and location stamps, calculate miles traveled, and even report on speed and emergency braking. You can measure exactly how much time was spent idling or off route, and determine if your team is using their time as efficiently as possible while on the job. The more data you have at your fingertips, the better able you are to make informed decisions based on facts that will improve your fleet’s performance and save you money.
You’ll help protect the environment and reduce pollution.
Efficient driving not only saves money, but also helps reduce exhaust emissions by using less gasoline per mile driven, which in turn reduces pollution. Efficient driving has two benefits: it saves money and it helps the environment. By following a few simple tips for efficient driving, you can go a long way toward reducing your fuel consumption and saving money at the pump. These include:
- Drive with the air conditioner off: most people turn on the air conditioner on hot days, which leads to higher fuel consumption. Instead, try driving with the windows rolled down and only use the air conditioner when you really need it.
- Do not idle: idling wastes fuel. If you plan to stop for more than 30 seconds (except in traffic), turn off the engine. Also, avoid quick starts and sudden stops, especially in heavy traffic.
- Tire Pressure: Underinflating tires can increase rolling resistance and consume more fuel. Maintaining proper tire pressure can reduce your fuel consumption by about 3 percent and extend the life of your tires.
If you’re a fleet manager, you are responsible for getting the most out of your investment. There are several tools you can use to do this. Technology has made it easier than ever to track and monitor vehicles. You have access to real-time information about the location, status and activity of every vehicle in your fleet, making it easier to optimize fleet performance and keep an eye on costs.
Want to learn how this technology can increase the efficiency of your fleet? Discover how Transpoco helps its customers track vehicles, manage fuel consumption, ensure vehicle roadworthiness and much more. Visit our website for more information https://www.transpoco.com/